In the mid-1850s a small frame building was constructed on Spring Creek and used as both a church and school. Area circuit-riding preachers stopped here to preach to the early Christians, Methodists and Presbyterians.
In 1873 the Christians began construction on the College Hill Church on the corner of 16th Street and Avenue G. This building consisted of one large room with a center aisle that separated the men from the women. The bell for this new Plano church was donated by the New York Merchants Association. During a fire in 1898 the College Hill Christian Church burned to the ground.
Land was purchased and construction began on a larger church at the corner of 15th Street and Avenue G. On June 24, 1899, a debt-free church was dedicated. Electricity and running water were added in the early 1900s. This church was razed in 1950. The bell, stained glass windows, organ, and cornerstone were all saved for use in the new church.
On May 20, 1951, a dedication service was held for the new Christian Church of Plano at the corner of 15th Street and Avenue H. The stained glass was installed over the baptistry, the organ was placed in the sanctuary, the cornerstone of the earlier church was placed in the hallway, and the bell was put in the bell tower. This is now known as the chapel.
On November 23, 1986 our present sanctuary was dedicated.
On February 16, 2001 lightning struck the church causing a fire which destroyed the Fellowship Hall, Sunday School rooms and Adminstration Wing and severely damaged the Chapel.
The new Education building was built and dedicated in January of 2005. This building includes our nursery, all preschool and elementary classrooms, and a special wing and our Sunday morning children’s program. The chapel was renovated and dedicated in September of 2006. The renovations preserved the original design as much as possible, including the original stained glass windows that were salvaged after the fire. However, the updated audio-visual equipment makes the chapel a multi-functional worship and meeting site.
Located on the corner of 15th Street and Ave. G, the two-story rental property, formerly known as the Red Brick Building, was renovated and dedicated as a Youth Facility in August 2009. This building is now known as One5Twenty referencing 1 John 5:20.